Sunday, February 20, 2011

Rome, Italy Part I

After 13 hours of flying time, and 1 layover we made it to Rome, Italy. It was such a whirlwind the second we stepped out of the plane. The airport was crazy, the luggage was heavy, and we had no idea how to find our hotel. We stopped by the tourist center in the airport to get a map of Rome and off we went. A few train rides later, and walking up, down, and around our hotel we made it (3 hours later). It was nice to be able to have somewhere to call home for the next few days. Since we arrived in Rome in the afternoon the plan was to do as much sightseeing as we could that day. That sounded good in theory before we actually made it to Rome, but once we were there it was not appealing to me at all. I figured after a shower and some clean clothes I would be set and ready for the day. Sleep, who needs that? Well lets just say my clothes felt extra tight that day from all the fluid I was retaining, and to top it all off my straightener totally burned up when I tried out my new converter and adapter. Needless to say my hair was a big frizzy mess from the 87% humidity. Then the exaustion set in, and then came the water work tears. I was sooo tired, not feeling the least bit ready to tackle walking around a strange city all day, and I missed home already. After pulling myself together we ventured out, frizzy hair and all to find a new hair straightener and to eat some dinner.

Our next day in Rome was a lot more pleasant. We got up, I straightened my hair :) and out we went to find somewhere to eat breakfast before all the sightseeing. We found this little bakery close to our hotel and the train station so we stopped in. We ordered a few pastries and some hot chocolate. The funniest thing about hot chocolate in Italy is that it's like hot pudding. You can't drink it, you have to eat it. After breakfast we set out for 12 hours of sightseeing. Looking back now I can't believe how much we saw that day.





This is the Roman Forum. It's the remains of the city, that are now under the new city of Rome.


This is us at the Fountain de Trevi. It was one of my favorite things to see because it is so much bigger than I had anticipated and it's right in the middle of a town square.


Some of the architecture of the city. It was beautiful


This is the Italian version of hot chocolate

1 comment:

Momma G. said...

How beautiful! Glad you got over the meltdown Sheena so you could enjoy Rome!