Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Moving Right Along

Well our house is looking more and more like a house every time we go out to Bothell. Blake and I made a trip over on Saturday and learned what colors they had selected for the exterior paint. The trim is a cream color, the front door will be a chocolate color, the main portion of the house will be a lighter brown color, and then the accent color will be a blueish-grey. The colors of course were named something more extravagant than brown, cream, blueish-grey, and light brown. The name of the color of the door is actually Bon Nuit, which actually means goodnight in French. I thought that was a perfect name for our front door. Blake just agrees and laughs.







So a funny/ironic thing happened this past week. Blake and were talking about how we hadn't received a calling in church yet, and we just thought it was because we'd only be in Enumclaw for another 6 weeks or so. Boy did I open my mouth too soon. Not only did they ask us to be the ward missionaries, but they gave me an additional calling in Relief Society. They asked if I was willing to be the choruster. I wanted to cry when they asked me. I know that we are supposed to be grateful for the callings we receive because they are given to us at just the right time, for a good reason. Let's just say this calling wasn't God inspired at all- the girl that normally does it is now playing the piano because the girl that was playing the piano went back to college. For those of you that don't know, I'm not musically blessed at all!! I can't sing very well, I don't play any instrument-that includes playing the piano, I don't know how to read music, I don't even know all the hymns in the hymn book, and I definitely didn't know how to conduct when they asked me. Needless to say I told them I would give it a try and I spent 2 hours practicing with the online tool on lds.org. Oh my gosh, there is so much to learn about conducting music! Blake just laughs at me and tells me that I will do fine, and that no one will even notice if I mess up. I'll keep you posted on how this Sunday goes. Hopefully the older women don't eat me alive.

2 comments:

shaunie said...

You will do totally fine. I am musically inclined, and have done my fair share of messing up when leading music. I don't sing that well either, and know less than half the hymns. Truth is, if you pick familiar hymns, people will only be watching you 30% of the time anyway. So don't be too nervous!

Stacie and Jared said...

Haha, oh man I think you will appreciate this. . . I got called in to be the Primary/Nursery music person!! I don't even know how to sing, and I only know like 10 of the 200 dang songs in the book! So I feel your pain. . . Jared just laughs at all of my stories each Sunday, I've got to be the world's worst music person in there!