Sunday, September 13, 2009

Canning Extravaganza

A few weeks ago I was at one of the local farmers markets and they were selling tomatoes, peaches, and pears by the box, and right then and there I decided that this year I would jump on the canning bandwagon. After purchasing a one box of each I realized that I didn't have any of the other supplies to can, so I headed to the store and away I went with canning jars, lids, pectin, a canning pot for water bath canning, and a lot of sugar. Then reality hit....I was so excited about canning, that I didn't even think of the fact that I have no idea how to can. We had always helped my mom when we were kids, and it seemed fun, but then again I was about 10 and most things seem fun at that age. Thank goodness for "Google"! I googled everything I could ever possibly need to know about canning, and away I went. It was a ton of fun, but a TON OF WORK! After about one week of canning peaches, pears, blackberry jam (we picked the blackberries since they grow like weeds in Washington), salsa, stewed tomatoes, and marinara sauce I was all canned out. I still have some jars so I think I'll give applesauce a whirl soon, but I think that will be the end of the canning extravaganza until next year. In the pictures below you will probably wonder why there's a picture of Sierra, my parents dog. Well it's because that's how she would look at me for hours on end while I was canning. She is the worlds most dedicated begger I have ever seen. By the second day I figured she was getting tired from standing for so long that I brought her bed into the dining room so she could at least take a break and relax while watching to see if anything fell from my hands. She's a funny dog.




There's about 8 jars missing from this picture to make up all our canned goods so far.

2 comments:

Momma G. said...

Way to go Sheena! The canning jars look beautiful! You'll love putting them in your new pantry!!!

Charitons said...

Amazing! Its cool to look at the pictures of all your completed efforts. : )