Thursday, October 29, 2009

I asked for it...

This past month the top of my foot has been really sore and fairly swollen. I've iced it and nothing happens. I've stretched it and nothing happens. Being the bad patient I am I thought that I would just let it do its thing and that it will eventually heal on its own. As my left foot is supposed to be healing the heel on my other foot starting hurting. It really gets me as I walk up and down our stairs, but like the other I thought it would heal on its own as well. I've been running still and that doesn't seem to bother it to much, so how bad could it be?!! As it turns out we have a podiatrist that's in our ward, so I thought maybe I would just go see him and see what he has to say. I should have known it would be bad when they just happened to have a new patient opening today when I just called them yesterday to schedule. I knew I should have waited until the middle of November when there next available appointment was. After 4 sets of xrays they were able to tell me about all the special and unique things that my feet hold, and oh by the way I have a fracture on my second toe on the left foot. WHAT!!! It was supposed to be healing on its own, but instead I got to go home with a lovely walker boot that will become my best friend for the next 4 weeks until my next appointment with the DR. Did I mention that I also have to wear an air cast on the other foot. Apparently because of the pain in the left foot my right foot has been making up the slack and my Achilles tendon it tighter than heck. After hearing the prognosis the DR asked if I had any questions, and of course I did. His response to my questions were...No exercise for at least 4 weeks (the stationary bike is the only lower extremity exercise I can do, and that happens to be my least favorite), and I need to be wearing the boot and aircast all hours when I'm awake-no exceptions. Can you believe this!! Not only will I look absolutely funny with all my new contraptions, but then no exercise. The positive side of this is that I can promote Breg products because I can get the walker boot and aircast from my darling husband. Also it's better to have this lovely new friends on my leg and feet when it's colder outside. It would be much worse to have them in the summer.

So this brings me to my next question. What's everyones opinion on leggings? I've been toying with the idea of getting a pair, but have wondered if maybe I'm to old to wear them-meaning that they look a lot cuter on younger people. I already know that they will not be worn under skirts to make up for wearing a shorter skirt, and I definitely will be wearing sweaters or shirts that are longer to cover up my backside. I just thought they may be convenient with my new walker boot. What do you think?

5 comments:

Charitons said...

Sorry Sheena! That stinks. Hope it heals quick and my experience is just staying off it, even when it first starts to do better will be best in the long run... otherwise you could end up with something that bugs you for YEARS. And I like leggings, especially with knee length knit dresses, or long sweaters. Go for it you always look cute!

Meg said...

I'm so sorry! That sounds awful...I was a little disappointed that there was no picture though, I want to see your new footwear :) As for leggings I say go for it. They are really comfy and look cute with dresses.

shaunie said...

I would go for the leggings and a knee length dress, I think they would be easier to wear with your new foot fashions! Hope it heals up quickly!

Momma G. said...

Oh Sheena! I'm so sorry! I hope you are up on both feet soon! Love you! Mom Gibbons

Scott & Gini Berrett said...

i totally just bought my first pair of leggings at H&M this week... I still dont know if i'm going to really wear them outside the house because i have the same concern as you...am i too old?
i think you can pull them off, let me know how it goes!