Monday, April 12, 2010

Going green isn't always easy!

We've been in desperate need to purchase a lawn mower, so I finally convinced Blake to come with me to pick on out. We've talked a lot about the pros and cons to self propelled mowers, electric mowers, and the momentum mowers (you determine the momentum and they don't require fuel). So there we were standing in Lowe's comparing prices, and I decided I definitely wanted to purchase the Fiskars momentum lawn mower. Blake tried to talk me out of it saying that I would probably hate that it doesn't have a bag to catch the clippings, but I insisted that it would be better because we're reducing our carbon footprint, and that the clippings couldn't be that bad. Boy did I eat my words! First of all the momentum portion of the mower is a lot harder then I had anticipated it. Blake soared through the lawn without a problem, but it was a little more of a challenge for me. Also because our grass had gotten so long the clippings went all over the driveway. Solution to the problem....keep moving the mower and don't stop because it's hard to get going again, and the solution to the grass clippings going everywhere...vacuum them up with the shop vac. Growing up my mom used to vacuum up the leaves in our grass with her shop vac and it used to embarrass me when the neighbors saw her doing it. Don't worry not only did I do what I swore I never would, but I also felt a little embarrassed when someone drove by so I would act as if I was vacuuming out the car and then return to my grass clipping task when they weren't looking. The end result of the grass was beautiful. We're going to continue to use our momentum mower and not through in the towel quite yet. Who knows I could get really strong from mowing the lawn, and grow to appreciate all the things my mom taught me; even the crazy things.

4 comments:

Momma G. said...

I loved it!!! You guys are so cute!!!

Joy in the Journey said...

We figured out a new marketing strategy for Shop Vac makers, suck up your grass trimmmings once you are done mowing your lawn. We should be paid dividends on the increased sales that will occur as a result of this new find. :) - Blake

Stacie and Jared said...

Haha this is hilarious!

Charitons said...

Ha ha! Sheena I can totally see you vaccuming your lawn. That's awesome. I have to meet your mom someday.