Thursday, April 22, 2010

The little things in life....

Lately I feel like when it rains it pours...and not just because we live in Seattle. I haven't been feeling to well the last few weeks. I thought it was just the stomach flu that was going around, and Blake thought it was stress, but when it wasn't getting any better I thought I should go see my doctor. The one great thing about my internist is she is very thorough and never overlooks any possibilities of what could be going on. The downside to her is that she sends you home with homework. I had 6 things on my homework list this time. I won't bore you with all the details about the list, but the number one thing read no dairy or wheat products for 2 weeks. My first thought was "how hard could that be?!" So today was day one. My morning started out with oatmeal with no milk. It was okay. Then for lunch a salad; not to bad. Then for dinner, well since I had practically nothing that was wheat and dairy free but another salad I chose to have some lentil and potato curls. They were actually fairly good but seriously this sucks! I stopped by Trader Joes on the way home and was able to find some rice pasta and rice tortilla shells that didn't look half bad, but the loaf of bread was a different story. It looked like oversized croutons. The lady tried to convince me that the bread wasn't all that bad, but I could see right through that lie. Just when I thought I had accomplished day one without any wheat or dairy, I was informed by Blake that my red vines that I was so happily consuming this evening had wheat flour in them. I thought he was joking at first, but believe it or not there in the ingredients it was....the dreadful WHEAT FLOUR. I never realized how unpleasant celiac disease was until today. Hopefully my celiac panel will come back negative so I can go back to enjoying the foods I love. I'll keep you posted how it goes.

4 comments:

Momma G. said...

Sheena,
I'm sorry to hear that you have not been feeling well...I hope you get better soon and they can find out what is wrong. If there is anything we can do, please let us know. We love you!

Charitons said...

Interesting how celiac disease seems to be more prevalent. But I sure hope that isn't the problem and they find out soon what IS! At least you have a trader joe's nearby because if you have to go gluten free then that is a great store. I really hope you feel better1

k and p said...

I did a gluten free and milk free diet for almost three months...seriously I think I lived at the natural foods store-between cheese substitutes (some are pretty good), soy milk (I still love me a good cup of vanilla silk soymilk) lots and lots of veggies, and tried lots of different gluten free cookies, pancake mixes, and snack bars. Hope it goes well for you. (by the way, I know you said it in your post, but definitely stay away from the rice bread. DISGUSTING!)

shaunie said...

I hope you do get feeling better, whatever the cause is. I have a number of friends with kids who are allergic to wheat and dairy, and it's not easy. There are a ton of books/internet sites about being gluten-free and dairy free though. I hope you can find some good info and make this two-week dairy and wheat hiatus a more pleasant experience!